Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Hat and a Rant



As I mentioned before, I sometimes have difficulty getting a normal amount of sleep at night and quite often end up waking up after an hour or two and can't fall back to  sleep for hours. Such happened a few nights ago, when I went to bed with a headache, then woke up at 3 in the morning and couldn't fall back to sleep. Normally, I end up just laying in bed for hours, waiting to doze off,  but this time I decided to actually do something with the extra time. As a result I ended up knitting a hat out of 2 of the skeins of yarns that I had just gotten. The picture I took of it didn't turn out great, but it does a great job of keeping my head warm and is really comfortable to wear. This is my first hat that I've knit from real wool, since in the past I've always used acrylic yarn, and I love the fact that the hat keeping my head warm is made from a fiber that used to be on the back of a living creature, then was hand sheared, carded and spun before I used it to knit my hat. I like that by buying this yarn, I was able to help support the economy of (somewhat) local farmers and artisans, instead of buying something that was made in some factory in China. I've never understood why people complain about the local economy and how it affects them, but then spend their money on cheaply made goods that weren't even made in this country. If we want to fix our economy, why not spend a little bit more money on fewer, better made products that benefit local businesses and, in turn, keeps that money flowing a little closer to home. I realize that this sounds somewhat hypocritical, because I purchase some of these foreign made goods, knowing full well what I'm doing, but I am also making the effort to do this less often, and I hope to eventually not do it at all. Sometimes it's really hard to buy local (I mean, where in Oregon can you buy local bananas?), during which instances I try to buy organic or fair trade certified. Sure, these items are oftentimes more expensive, but I think in the long run those few extra dollars I spend are worth it. Some people might not agree with my beliefs or practices, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I personally don't care if anyone thinks of me differently for what I believe.

And that is my rant for today, thanks for reading. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment